View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 AM   #3
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Ford View Post
This story makes me think she might have been bitten or attacked before. I found that some rescues need time to learn to trust. I try to be very casual . Lesson Come Out, it is Ok. If a dog is hiding under a chair but can see me. I will set on the floor with my side facing the dog and and stroke a stuffed animal ( I don't want them to compete with a real dog right now) I also have some tasty tiny pieces of boiled chicken in a bowl. I pretend to munch on a piece making yum sounds softly. I casually toss a tiny piece in front of the hiding dog if they haven't come out to investigate yet. I also avoid eye contact because that can make them nervous. I let the dog come to me. I do not try to snuggle them or pick them up, unless they climb on me. You may have to keep tossing chicken to get them to come close. I lay one hand face up, with a piece of chicken in my palm and let the dog take it and retreat if they want to. If they take the chicken and look at you as if to say, Any More ? Softly say their name and feed them one more piece. Say OK ( Done etc.) what ever your release word is. Get up and go about your business, most likely they will follow you. You can repeat this lesson several times. It teaches the dog that coming out of hiding is safe. Also you can feed her in her crate. You do not have to encourage dogs to eat together. I feed all my puppies in their safe place which is their crate. Hope this helps.

I would also make sure that she has a safe place to go hide if she wants to. My Maggie was very shy and timid at first. She still will not compete with Hot Rod on a lot of things but she was terrible at first. I was still in contact with her breeder and she told me, "she has to find her place". I guess, but I felt so awful for her. I try to give her attention and hold her too. Hope your friend has success with this.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!