View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
^^
That is very close to how we eat.

We get salad stuff all the time. Protein bars, Greek yogurt, 2 kinds of milk, lots of cheese, fresh fruit, Kashi this-that-or the other thing, some Lean Cuisines, etc.

It's just soooo odd to see that people can do it for like $25/person/week when a lot of them aren't just eating Ramen. This was a dieting forum where they are trying to eat well. But maybe they have time to go to veggie markets and such and make things from scratch.
Just last week I bought almond milk AND coconut milk so...lol yes we are exactly the same. It is probably very likely that on the diet forum people are making stuff from scratch more often. For example my best friend is a fitness competitor and she makes everything from scratch b/c she can't eat any preservatives, or anything with high sodium content (which most pre-packaged foods have) and all her veggies are fresh. She also buys oatmeal in mass quantities as well as protein powder. It is very possible that they are spending a lot of money on supplements though which they probably aren't adding to their list of "grocery" expenses.

The pre-packaged healthy stuff is extremely expensive and does not come in great quantities so eating for two can easily add up (Kashi cereal is super expensive and have you noticed they only give you half a full bag?!) There's also very little out there in terms of healthy fast food (except for subway and some select menu items at various restaurants) and so I feel as if you're increasingly penalized at the supermarket for wanting to buy healthy items. And if you want to buy organic...don't even get me started. Oh, just remembered another thing that costs me a lot of money...egg whites!! Geez I don't want to spend an extra five minutes taking out the yolk in the morning and so I buy egg whites...costs an arm and a leg!

Join today and remove this ad!