View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

A couple of things to add: Always travel with an emergency kit. There is a thread on here about what should go into that kit.

For safe travelling in crates: remove in particular any choke type of collar ... probably not an issue with Yorkies; but there are lots of folks with big dogs on here too. I put water right in their crates. Razz has a water bottle attached to his crate

I have on the emergency contact ; their vet name, addy, phone number, an emergency contact number; any meds that they are on; and packed in my emergency kit which is front and center attached to a carbiner to their crate. A big Please transport in crate to emergency vet. Their names; the Safety command of STOP.

I always have an extra collar and leash, in either my pocket or butt bag when walking. I have had both break on different occasions.

When hiking; or walking in unfamiliar places I place a whistle around my neck, and do carry my cell phone.

When stopping at rest stops; if possible I stop away from the access road, and away from other cars. I make sure to look around my environment prior to exiting the car; doubly sure at night; and at night try to park under a light. My keys have a mini flashlight attached to it, so I can see if they poo where to pick up their poo.

For crate in car training; the biggest command you can teach and train your dog for safety is STAY of WAIT, remember you will be attaching a collar and lead to your dog, and the idea is if someone or some dog walks by they don't bolt out of the car.

For the humans in the car; a blanket; candles; water should already be there, emergency flashes in case of car breakdown.

I usually carry my own water in the car; and their dog food as well on long car trips.

I know GPS is the rage, but nothing beats old fashioned maps, so I always travel with maps for the area I am travelling in.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!