View Single Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
shelbysmom
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalyorkiLvr
That was kind of my problem with it when I first read it. It doesn't seem to consider Hobby breeders as Reputable or experienced, but I agree that some hobby breeders are definitely reputable and experience.

I consider show breeders hobby breeders too since showing is a hobby and show breeders supposedly don't make money at it so why wouldn't they be hobby breeders.

I still there is a lot of confusion about all the definitions and it never hurts to see what others think. I have struggled with these definitions for a year now and it is a common topic of new threads.
The way I read it, it implies that hobby breeders are very reputable by the practices the chart describes. The difference between them and the Reputable Experienced breeder seems to be the reputation and experience they gain over time. Committed hobby breeders can move up to that level and are involved with clubs and mentoring etc.

"Show breeders" are probably not a classification b/c many types of breeders show their dogs. I met a show breeder that totally makes her living off of her dogs and others who only have one litter a year. For the dedicated hobby breeder and reputable experienced breeder, money is not their motive. They turn around and use any money they make on litters to support their hobby, which is their dogs. (showing, carrying for, stud fees, breeding, vet bills, handler fees...etc.)

Once you start making a true income off of anything it isn't considered a hobby anymore correct?

I think we probably overuse the Show Breeder term, I know I do. Glad this chart cleared things up for me.
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!