View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #6
afrye06
Senior Yorkie Talker

I am very aware what wheatens were originally breed for. I've done proper research into both yorkies and wheatens. Big dogs and small dogs can interact and live together just fine...most of the time(there are exceptions to EVERYTHING). Yes, I have small dogs, but I'm not going to live my life in fear that something will happen to them simply because they are so small. Dogs are dogs. I love them, they are my "children", but there comes a point where you have to realize they are dogs.
My kids do just fine with all sizes of dogs. They've even played with german shepherds and *gasp* pitbulls! I'm well educated on animal behavior and breed traits. With all this being said, I would never allow my yorkies to be unsupervised with a larger dog. I plan on keeping them separate when I can't watch them. I'm not some compulsive shopper that goes into petland and picks out the cutest dog. I've done my homework and I would never get a dog that I wasn't sure my yorkies and I could handle and I would never enter into a commitment without fully considering all risks involved.
I want to raise a puppy myself that is from a high quality breeder so I can ensure all dogs involved get the best socialization possibly for our family (My girl is a puppymill rescue...I'm for rescue, just not in this case). This is why I don't feel a rescued wheaten is right for me. I've been in the pet industry for a long time now and I've seen/heard it all. I love little dogs and big dogs and like I said, I've done my homework. I appreciate the concern...some people would need others to educate them about big dog/small dog dangers, but I'm not one of them. Some of you may call me careless for my views, but that's fine because everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Again, thanks for your concern.
Rita- I'll keep you in mind if I have any questions!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!