View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Jackbrooks
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default First Time Breeding. Advice And Help Needed

Hello there,
I have decided to plan on breeding my beautiful girl Tilly on her next heat. She is from one of the best lines of Yorkshire terriers and is of show quality.
Firstly I am not wanting to breed for finical gain, I simply would like to add to my family and also hopefully produce a lovely boy for show.
As this would be my first time there are alot of things I do not know. I have read two books that include big chapters about breeding, but still feel not 100% about how everything happens. I would really appreciate any help and advice anyone could pass my way.
My concerns are as follows.
1. The day when the dam should be bred. ( what if I do not notice her being on heat for a few days?)
2. Best foods for pregnant dams? Inc calcium and vitamins ?
3. Birthing stage, I asked the breeder of my dam if there was a history of any of his dams from this line of any birthing problems I.e c sections that were needed. He said he never had any problem with this line. Only with a past different line. Is there anything I could do with my vet to check if she is a good candidate for producing?
4. As a first time breeder should I let my dam give birth at home with just me or should I get a vet to come to the house?
5. What things will I need?
Jackbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!