View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
shell820810
YT Addict

Default Itchy skin - not an allergy? Can you help?

Maisie scratches a lot. It isnt fleas, mites etc, and vet said its probably an allergy, but it is very difficult to determine what it is, and unless it gets distressing for her, he wouldnt really want to go down the medication line. Neither would I. It is normally around the head - ears, jaws, mouth etc. He gave me a soothing shampoo to use.

Thing is, she doesnt scratch at night, or in her sleep, or when she is resting etc, its just when she is moving about. If it was an allergy, would it not bother her all the time, and some say it should actually get worse at night.

The past couple of weeks she has really started scratching under her armpits, and she has actually now broken the skin. Her skin is very dry.

She is on taste of the wild, I have started giving her salmon oil. She didnt itch when she was a pup. She was on orijen puppy at the time, but I found taste of the wild has suited better, more solid stools etc.

Her hair is quite long - do you think this is irritating her? i am considering getting it cut to see if it helps?

ANother thing is that when she needs out to poop at night, she starts scratching again. Seems strange that the sensation of needing to poop makes her itchy.

Can anyone suggest any causes or treatments, but i dont want her on constant medication.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!