Thread: Pixie and Nya
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
Foster Mom
YT Addict

Default Pixie and Nya

Both had vet visits this morning. It was time for Pixies thyroid recheck and Nya has very sparse hair so to me it was screaming Thyroid for her as well so I had the test done on her too, should have the results early next week.

I found out something interesting, Pixie was due for her vaccinations, and I found out you can get a 3 year distemper/Parvo shot...so of course we went with that for her.

Had Nya's eyes checked as since I got her she has had white goop coming out of them, and sometimes it crusts and her eyes are glued shut. He checked her thoroughly and said it looks like she does not produce tears or enough tears, so he checked her corneas (now she is stained a unflattering shade of yellow) and he prescribed an eye drop for her an antibiotic/steriod that we have to use 2 times per day for 2 weeks and if that does not clear it up then he is going to giver her something to produce tears. It appears she has found some of the weight Pixie lost as she has gained 1 pound since we got her, mind you I think they always gain some after a spay don't they?

Pixie's Lymphnodes are enlarged still and he thinks even more so than last time he saw her, we have the choice to do a biopsy, but he said we did the needle biopsy in December and it showed Hyperplasia, not Lymphoma, and he said it has been 9 months since we did that and she is not showing any signs at all of being sick, so he suggested leaving it alone until we have a need to do it. He said if it was Lymphoma after this long she would be showing signs or she would have passed away by now as most dogs do not live more than 4-6 months after diagnosis.

I aksed about the girls' allergies and he did not want to put them on Temerill-P because of their age, but he suggested when the itching gets bad to bring them in for an injection that will control the itching for up to a month at a time, he felt this was the safer option because of their age.

All in all besides a few minor issues, both girls are extremely healthy and in great shape. We just have to try to make sure Nya does not gain any more weight...11 1/2 pounds is about as heavy as he wants her to get and that is what she weighed today. Pixie has put on 1/2 pound, I am thinking it has to do with the Orijen food she now eats....

On another note, I just have to have a home check done and then I will be volunteering for Yorkie Haven....YAY
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!