View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 06:41 AM   #19
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Also...if you have ever seen two yorkies fight then you would be well aware that snapping fingers and pointing at where they should be is not going to work. They are not nice sometimes...and need to be stopped immediately. I have snapped them up by the scruff of their necks to avoid being bitten myself... and YES put them in separate rooms for a few minutes. It is called time out...but keep in mind I am not saying "time out" as if I were talking to human children!

I have done this and it works...one must be on top of things and be very consistent. The pups quickly learn that they cannot stay with family if they misbehave.

Now...in the case of severely aggressive dogs, I recommend a behaviorist as I said previously.

While I don't usually agree with doggy time outs for smaller issues, when it comes to fighting, I do believe the dogs need a breather depending on how severe the fight.

And yes, no snapping fingers will do during a dog fight. Luckily, I've only had to separate four small dog fights and one big dog fight... with the small dogs, I grab by the scruff, as it seems the quickest and safest way to remove them from each other without getting yourself hurt. I hate to see dogs fight.

Last night, Jackson got into it with the dog I am watching over a Kong and I separated them quickly by the scruff and then put them both down again and they were fine together. But this is not always the case. I separated a Boxer and a Boxer/Mastiff from a pretty huge fight (one required eye surgery) and I locked the attacker away for about an hour, let him back out again per owners request and he went after him again, for seemingly no reason. So yeah they needed a really long break from each other, a full 24 hours and now they've been fine for over a year with no fights.

I second the behaviorist suggestion. I also didn't see if they were spayed or not yet... maybe I missed that. Try to do everything positive with them together. How much exercise do they get? I suggest walking them together and tiring them out.

Last edited by Britster; 09-03-2011 at 06:44 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!