View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #1
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Default Dog Bite Infections - GRAPHIC

I am horrified at the shape of a little yorkie that my local AC called me about today.

We will never know for sure if the owner was the one who surrendered her or if her story was true and this was a stray. Personally, I think it was the owner. The story is that this yorkie was attacked by a doberman. It happened on Saturday and she contacted AC yesterday. She said her daughter had saved the pup...suppose it is possible. I would think that if that were true, someone would have called the police to report it?? Who knows.

Anyway....her name is Summer and she was in an extreme amount of pain and had a temp of 104 when she got to my vet today. Her wounds are just disgusting looking and the smell was like that of rotting flesh. I still have it in my nose. So terribly sad and in spite of that the little darling was wagging her tail at my vet. She has a large wound on her throat...luckily the trachea was not touched...and one on the inner aspect of her left hind leg. Xrays did show pleural effusion most likely from being shaken by the other dog. She does have bruising. It is unreal that this little one survived.

I just went to visit her before they closed. She is on IV fluids and has antibiotics on board and also is being medicated with Bupranex for pain. They will evaluate her in the AM and make a decision then about doing a debridement. It must be done, but they may want to hold off another day. They may want to keep her on antibiotics a bit longer before doing it.

She did eat a tiny bit of food when I offered it to her on a spoon. She is very weak and thin....every rib and her spine shows. Just heartbreaking. She weighs 5.5 and probably should be about 7.5 .

I am posting this with the hopes that it will help someone in the future. Dog bites can be extremely dangerous to little dogs. Infections almost always set in. When dogs are bitten by other dogs they must be seen by a vet!

WARNING: Pictures are extremely graphic.

summer1b.jpg

summer2.jpg

summer3.jpg
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!