View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
ratedrkris
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Meet My Puppy FRIDAY (Questions About Ownership)

This is my first puppy and pet, her name is Friday. She was born on May 16, 2011 and I took her home on July 28, 2011.

My first night with her I could not sleep, I ended up getting a crate that was way too big for her and the whole time I was nervous she would poop in it (which she did). I was a wreck and was texting the breeder and telling her I wasn't sure if I could be a daddy! I took her to the vet the next day and she checked out fine and her tests were all OK.

I was walking through PetSmart and met an amazing trainer who showed her how to sit, stay, and come in a matter of minutes and it put me at ease that she is willing to learn and that she was a friendly and smart puppy.

She rarely cries and barks now which is great although she will whine when she sees me leaving sometimes.

My issues now are that she won't potty outside in the grass, I live on the 3rd floor of a condo and while it's not a long way down it is still a journey for me. I put a potty pad outside in the patio/balcony and she would pee on it and usually poop on it. Even on long walks, she waits until we get upstairs for her to do her business and usually won't poop if people are looking at her. I also noticed that on several occasions the poop was moved and sometimes smushed on the floor as if she was trying to move it or hide it. I do not know what is causing this but it can be very gross although I do clean her up always. I have yelled at her in frustration over the poop before so I am thinking she tries to hide it so she doesn't get yelled at?

I also realized that she will poop in her crate over night sometimes but NEVER inside the little travel bag (I moved her in there to sleep over night and has not gone in it).

She is a very social dog as my best friends have dogs! She likes to play and run around them, especially big dogs. However when walking her on the street she must say HI to everyone that passes by (although she is very cute and people always come up to her). How can I control this or teach her to sit and not get too excited with strangers?

She has gotten 3 of her shots, she is going to get her 4th one in a couple weeks including the rabies shot so I think she is set there.

My next decision I have to make is whether or not I should get her spayed and when I should get her spayed if I did decide to do that? I know Yorkie's produce nice puppies and can be sold for a good amount of money but as my first pet do I spay her to just do it and learn more or what? My friends have different opinions about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Meet My Puppy FRIDAY (Questions About Ownership)-friday1.jpg   Meet My Puppy FRIDAY (Questions About Ownership)-friday2.jpg  
ratedrkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!