View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
No one has suggested that dogs think like humans....but any of you who think that a time out is only for humans, you are incorrect. Dogs learn quickly what is acceptable if you remove them for unacceptable behaviors. They love to be with their humans...remove that privelege for a short time and see what happens.

I am not a Cesar Milan fan. I much prefer the methods of Tamar Geller or Victoria Stillwell.

We all do things differently. I provide their food and shelter and have a routine for them....they thrive with consistency in their environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Also...if you have ever seen two yorkies fight then you would be well aware that snapping fingers and pointing at where they should be is not going to work. They are not nice sometimes...and need to be stopped immediately. I have snapped them up by the scruff of their necks to avoid being bitten myself... and YES put them in separate rooms for a few minutes. It is called time out...but keep in mind I am not saying "time out" as if I were talking to human children!

I have done this and it works...one must be on top of things and be very consistent. The pups quickly learn that they cannot stay with family if they misbehave.

Now...in the case of severely aggressive dogs, I recommend a behaviorist as I said previously.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Scolding them while they are in a "time out" isn't going to get your message across to them. They might give you a "guilty" look, but that doesn't mean they understand what you are saying. I keep thinking of that episode where Victoria Stilwell had the dog owner place the dog on the ground for snapping, nipping, and biting people who approached the dog's owner. Being on the owner's lap was the dog's reward. Being removed was the punishment for bad behavior.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!