View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Sweet Girls
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
I've owned yorkies for over 30 years. I see some of the responses refer to one dog wanting to be the dominant one. If you have multiple dogs the top dog or pack leader should be you not one of the dogs. Are you familiar with the Cesar Milan approach? I'm not promoting him or his program and have no financial interest or connection with him. He's simply the best and fastest way you can learn how to become pack leader and restore harmony. You need to determine which of the dogs is the instigator. I don't understand a "time out" approach when it comes to animals as dogs live in the moment and have very little understanding of human language. Establishing that you are pack leader and that such behaviour is unacceptable should resolve your problem. It takes time and absolute consistency however it is well worth the effort. In the meantime you should keep them separated if you are not at home with them. Correct all inappropriate behaviour immediately no matter how trivial it may seem. I train my dogs by sound or touch instead of verbal commands. Inappropriate behavour gets an immediate snapping of my fingers and pointing to where I want them to be. If they still don[t respond they get a snapping of the fingers and a touch (finger poke) in the shoulder area. Only speak to your dog when they are exhibiting acceptable behaviour. Good luck with your little darlings.

Dogs don't think like humans, and using a human style approach to correcting their behaviour doesn't make sense. My best advice to you would be to get a professional in to make a proper assessment (it's so hard to understand all the dynamics in a forum situation), and its so important to be able to correct the behaviour quickly, before it becomes more "set" and harder to break.

Good luck!
Sweet Girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!