View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #9
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Ford View Post
SWHouston don't be surprized if you get bashed for your 'pack mentality'. Like you I think dogs are and should be allowed to be dogs. I have been put down for my pack mentality. I love my Yorkies, but realize they are not little fur people. I have trained many dogs have worked with abused, abandoned, and damaged rescues. But then, a lot of people hate Cesar Millan too.
I don't think it's necessarily the "pack mentality" that people hate. It's what comes along with... words like "alpha" and "dominance" which are WAY over-used by people who don't know what they are talking about. Especially when the dominance "myth" was de-bunked by the people who CREATED the theory who studied wolves that were not living in the wild.

My dog is probably the most "doggy dog" that I know. He rolls around in the dirt, he eats bugs, he chews on sticks, he goes swimming happily, he goes hiking, he runs happily through grassy fields, he romps around dog parks, he treks through the snow, he wrestles, the list goes on and on.

However, I do not treat him like he is... below me. I'm not above him, per say. I am so much more than his "pack leader". But see, that word can be taken in the wrong context, too. Some can simply be calling their house of 5 dogs by saying "they are my pack!" but then some could use it in a degrading way too. He is my family and, yeah, I consider myself to be more like a mom than an alpha pack with a "pecking order". Dogs were domesticated to work with US, with people. Yes, they may be biologically the same as wolves, but they are NOT wolves and were each specifically bred for a purpose.

I think that is my issue with people thinking they have to dominant their dogs. I see it all the time at the dog park, people who have excited dogs and then they start kicking them in their sides, or rolling them on the back, or screaming at them and it gets NOTHING accomplished. I like Cesar, I don't agree with all of his methods, but I appreciate what he has done. But unfortunately, his methods are specifically "not to be tried at home" but everyone does it anyways and I think it creates MORE problem in dogs rather than helping the general public. Too many people mistake "calm submissive" for "I'm angry and frustrated at my dog so I'm going to alpha roll him". And yeah, I don't like to see his training methods suggested to new owners who have young innocent puppies with problems that could be VERY easily solved without force or dominance.

Dogs are MUCH more capable than a lot of people give them credit for. And, in fact, was recently proven that they have the mental capability of a toddler and display the same emotions, etc. And I just think too many people think of them as "oh it's just a dog" when that's simply not the case. Not saying or implying you think this way... but it's something I've noticed with those who feel the need to "dominate" their dog.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!