View Single Post
Old 08-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Roxi Ree
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbigirl View Post
Hi,

So Baby Chan is on Lactulose which I'm guessing is whats giving her the runs. Its coming out like water. Also she isn't eating on her own. They force fed her at the hospital and also had her on IV. The vet wants me giving her the lactulose 3 times a day but is it a good idea when she has no food in her tummy. The vet also gave her an enema. I think she is trying to remove all toxins. She is also taking Clavamox and Karo Syrup. She's under 3 lbs now. Also I think she waited to come home because the vet did not mention her having the runs. Any experience here? Will she even be strong enough for surgery if this is a shunt. It seems to be a VERY SERIOUS surgical procedure. I can't stand this. PLease any words of wisdom.
Roxi didn't have to take the Lactulose, but the way the surgeon explained it to me was that you might have to adjust how much the dog gets based on how runny the poo. He told me that the poo should be soft, but not runny. You might ask your vet about that.

Also, Roxi was only 2.3 pounds at the time of her surgery and she did very well...exploratory surgery, liver biopsy, spay and teeth pulled. I hope that makes you feel a little better if Baby Chan needs surgery.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!