Thread: Do they forget?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
BabyGirl Rosie
I ♥ my girls!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkietalkjilly View Post
I think they do have a sort of recall of certain things that they associate strongly with something else from times well back in their lives, especially if they were imprinted at the time with something exceptionally wonderful - or exceptionally scarey or painful. If she were verbally berated for a long, long time in a scary manner or hit/injured when this happened, she very well could be "remembering" the pottying in the house leg to a very, very bad/scary thing and when she repeated that action today, she associated the action with that bad time and ran scared. It really does sound like she is essentially remembering. In time, that should abate.

I'm like you - I don't spank or scold a dog for pottying in the house - consider that my fault for a lack of a good schedule, failure to properly monitor my dog for "signs" of need to go or a problem with the dog's ability to hold it longer - such as a bit of diarrhea or drinking too much water. I simply bring the dog very matter of factly to the soiled area, say "uh oh" in a regular tone and take the dog outside to his "spot" and say "Good potty outside". The last thing I want to do is scare my dog for needing to void or poop, wherever he does it!!! But it sounds like that may just be what happened to your little bitty girl, poor little thing. I am so glad she is with you now.
Well this was my fault. I didn't get home until later than usual. She was home all day while I was at work. When I got home she was so excited to see me. I was just about to take her out when she had the accident. Pure and simple, I should have gotten her out quicker.

I don't know if she was yelled at or hit or what. I do know that she was scared acting. It was so sad. I just picked her up and loved her. Then we went outside. I told her to potty outside. Never scolding her. I don't think the lady I got her from did anything. I think she loved her and knew she had to get rid of her. She told DH that her boyfriend didn't like Mikki. So I don't know.

Honestly, more and more I think I know why she was there when my friend saw her. This led my friend to text me and next thing we know she is mine. I believe everything happens for a reason. She has been spayed, current shots, groomed, heartworm tested, heartworm prevention, flea and tick prevention, etc. Things that she was lacking in her past. I just hope that we can encourage her to not be afraid. Well, only be afraid when Rosie is after her. Lol.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!