View Single Post
Old 08-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
gracielove
YT 3000 Club Member

It is difficult, to say the least, to potty train a dog when you are gone most of the day. A small puppy has a small bladder and has to go more often. I have seen on this forum that many of the people who work use X pens instead of crates. In the Xpen the puppy has room to mover around and pee pads to go potty on as well as the needed food and water. A puppy cannot go for hours in a crate without having to go.
This is a good set up if you have to be away from home. Much of the crate training info that is out there is inaccurate and has caused a lot of suffering for puppies.
When you are at home you must keep that pup with you at all times. You cannot let it wander on it's own. I used to keep my pup on a leash and it would go with me where ever I went in the house. You have to learn the signals it gives when it has to go. It is a big undertaking to take on a small puppy. It takes a lot of time and patience to train a puppy properly. I hope things work out for you. It is going to take time. It does not happen over night or even in a few weeks time. There are "sticky" listings on training a Yorkie on this site and they are good reading. There are other discussions on the forum on this subject also. I hope things work out for you. Best wishes
gracielove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!