View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 05:20 AM   #1
celstu1
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Question Shellac manicures, anyone have them?

So Ive been going for manicures lately. I get the shellac and it easily lasts 2 weeks if not 3 (depending on how fast your nails grow out). I LOVE it. It takes the same amount of time as a regular mani, costs about $12 more but lasts 2-3 weeks so its worth it. The color selection is severely limited right now though, although they are coming out with more colors in Sept. Ive been doing them back to back though, getting it removed and getting a new one in a matter of a 1/2 hour.
I had a friend who told me she got her 3rd one in 6 weeks (so she was going 3 weeks b/t them as well) and her fingers started itching and then hurting and she had it removed to find out it ATE holes in her nails. She went to the doctor who had seen it one other time on another girl. They gave her antibiotics and it took her nails 4 months to repair themselves. She showed me the pics and its horrible and she said VERY painful. It looks like her nails got super thin underneath and were just peeling away in chunks.

I just got my 3rd in 6 weeks back to back shellac mani yesterday and now I'm sooooo nervous for this to happen to me.

Any nail techs out there who use Shellac? Can you use it back to back like I have? My salon takes it off by applying acetone to cotton, putting it on my nail only and wrapping my fingertip in tin foil. They leave that one for 3 mins then scrape with a metal tool gently. Is this normal? I believe they also put a conditioner on my nails before they put the polish on. I am not a big nail person (but I have long, super strong nails) so this manicure if perfect for me. I walk out with completely dry nails that I can't ruin and they stay for 2-3 weeks solid.

I know my BF is going to 'pop the question' sometime in the next few months (we've been ring shopping) and I want my nails done when he does (i'm such a GIRLY girl for this!! LOL) but I don't want to risk ruining my nails either and being on meds and in pain!!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!