View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
TresCutePiggies
Owned by Rory & Lane
Donating Member

I'm going to say yes, but I'll back that up with a personal experience.

My late bullmastiff was diagnosed with lymphoma which we treated successfully with chemo for close to 2 years. The protocols were 6 months long, with it being chemo weekly for 3 months, then every other week for the remaining 3 months, with 3 different drugs being rotated in a specific pattern. Anyways, his first 6 month protocol put him remission for about 9 months. When the cancer recurred, we began the same 6 month protocol again. The first 6 month protocol had given him no side noticeable side effects, other than he'd sleep a lot the day following the most aggressive drug, adriamycian (given every fourth time).

For whatever reason, the second time we went through the 6 month protocol he had a horrible time with the adria, which no one expected based on his history. He had all the side effects, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea, and he ended up back in ICU for a few days to get stabilized. (FYI - they were able to send us home with anti-nausea meds in the future on the days he had this treatment, so he was able to tolerate the drug). We would visit him 2x per day during the alotted visiting hours, and he didn't have much of an appetite at first, understandbly, so we'd offer him ice chips, which he loved to crunch down like candy. We noticed him shivering after we'd been there for a bit and mentioned it to the vet, who told me that was not something they'd observed, but that they'd watch for it. Same thing the next day with the shivering after we'd visited for a bit, and again no one had noticed it while he was being observed. By now, your light bulb has probably gone off, but we FINALLY realized on the way home he was eating such a large amount of ice chips it was probably cooling him off causing him to shake his head and shiver - and we felt so dumb for not putting it together sooner. Wouldn't you know the next time we visited we gave him less chips and no shivering. The oncologist told us he could have whatever his little (giant) heart wanted which always seemed to be the ice chips and vanilla ice cream (or as we dubbed it his gateway food) which led to him eating cheeseburgers to the delight of his doctor.

So my thoughts that are if a 135 lb dog can get brain freeze then little Kaji can too!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!