View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa Ford View Post
I train my dogs to go in their crate by feeding them in the crate. First I leave the door open when feeding them. Make sure the bowl is on the back wall of the crate I use the kind that you can screw to the wire, they remind me of big parrot bowls. You can use heavy crock type bowls too. The idea is to get the dog to go all the way in on their own. Day two I step it up by giving them treats in the crate. I say Place and put treat through the back while the crate is between my knees. When the puppy comes in the crate to get the treat, I praise like crazy Good Place !!! The next day I repeat the training exercise about 5 times and close the door for a few seconds each time all the while praising softly GOOD PLACE. Increase the time every day. Use special chew toys and treats that they only get while in the crate. It usually takes my puppies about 8 days to seek out their crate on their own for naps. When they do this they are ready to sleep alone, without their littermates. Older pups may take a bit longer but soon they will consider their crate their own special Place. Good luck hope this helps.

Excellent advice!

Join today and remove this ad!