View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #12
MyTrixie143
Mom to 6 Beautiful Furkids

I don't know much about great danes other than a few basic facts. They are big loveable giants that will try sitting on your lap. They eat a ton of food and you have to make sure they eat it slowly and don't exercise before or after eating or they risk bloating which is deadly. They do slobber a lot.

Dobermans I love but they do require a lot of exercise and mental stimulation and you have to be dedicated to it. Lots of walking, running and playing. Dobermans are also great jumpers so you better have a tall fence as many can jump extreme heights. They are very loyal to their family and often a bit wary of strangers.
There is a forum for dobermans if you are seriously interested in them. It is tons of useful information and everyone there is great. The forum is called dobermantalk. There might be a forum for great danes as well.

You can still have a large breed puppy with a yorkie you just have to be very very careful. Never leave them together unsupervised. When they are together the big puppy should be kept on a leash and taught right away to lay down and be calm. If the puppy starts getting over excited you need to take him away from the yorkie. Eventually he will learn he needs to be calm and careful if he wants to play with the yorkie. Also remember to work on the obedience so that eventually when you can let him off the leash around the yorkie when he is older he will be better trained and will easily listen. I never trust a large breed puppy unleashed around a yorkie or small dog, they can be so clumsy and easily hurt a toy breed easily if though not meaning too. Only after I've seen them calm down a bit and more trained would I let them unleashed around the yorkie.

This is how we've taught our big dogs to interact with small ones and it has worked out great. Our border collie mix was such a hyper puppy when she was little. But so much bigger than a yorkie. After much training to this day she can play with them but knows to be gentle. Most of the time she lays down and lets them come to her.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!