View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
lovespandp
♥Momma's Bambino♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
It depends on the dogs, when we joined a puppy class for Joey at the age of 11 months, we found it just too dangerous for him, and the large puppies would trample him. We entered a trick training class instead, and all the dogs were much bigger, but they were adults and well behaved. When we adopt a dog, it has to be for life, you have to think about you future and how much flexibility you have on where you live. Large breed dogs are very limited in where they can live, so many apartments are out. Also it’s not just the large breeds that need lots of exercise, I was looking into the West Highland Terrier a medium size dog and most sites say they need 60 – 80 minutes a day every day, A couple times a week maybe, but each day, sorry I can’t do it. If you can’t do it, you are doing a huge disservice to the dog. Lots of really beautiful breeds, but when choosing a dog, you have to consider your lifestyle for the next 10-15 years.

A lot of older mature large dogs are very mellow and will allow the yorkie to pretend that its the alpha.
Well DH and I have a 3 bedroom 2 bath house ( we own) with a nice gated backyard. I am not worried about that. I am worried about the amount of excersise bigger dogs need. I know it is something I have to think about and really put all my thoughts together. I would never get a bigger dog and end up giving them up. Like I said I am going to be dog watching my brothers Boxer in a week or so and I will be able to see what it will be like to have a "med" size dog.

You are looking for another dog? Are you still? A West Highland Terrier is a very active dog LoL, but arent all the terrier's?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!