View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Yes, puppies do not understand "time-outs". They are not children, who have the capability to go into a room and sit and think about what they have done and then come back out and apologize for it. By the time you let them out, they will have no idea why they were in there in the first place.

If you don't want him jumping, I would try keeping him on a leash. "Umbilical cord method" if you will. First, understand that he is a puppy, and you ARE going to have times where he will jump against the leather couch. If you're that worried about it, I wouldn't have gotten a puppy, but in the meantime, yes it can be trained out of him. He just has to learn, he has no idea that what he is doing is wrong.

You could also try saying nicely 'down' or whatever word you want to use... maybe 'off' and at the moment you say it, throw the treat to the other side of the room and praise him. You could teach him 'place' so that he maybe has a little bed or rug of his own to go to.

I personally wouldn't recommend Cesar Milan for an issue as small as this. There is no need for you to "dominate" your dog or turn into it's "alpha" because a dog is jumping against a couch, probably simply wanting attention...

There are a lot of videos about this sort of thing on youtube channel: kikopup's Channel - YouTube

Last edited by Britster; 08-13-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Britster is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!