Thread: Pancreatitis
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #52
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatwizme View Post
It's not really that she is 'fearful'. I don't really know how to describe it. I take her with me in the car a couple times a week, in her carseat. We go visit the kids/grandkids. She loves short trips. But for more than a half hour, she starts getting nervous and tries to get out of the carseat. By the time an hour has elapsed she is trying to spin in the seat and wants to be held. I think maybe she gets sleepy but refuses to give up and so she wants OUT. She doesn't bark. Doesn't whine, doesn't make any noise, ever. And she'll stay if we tell her to, she'll sit still. But she will NOT relax and enjoy the ride. So I think if I drug her and she can't help but sleep, we'll be fine. I hope. She's fine in the RV if we are not driving. She will run around, sleep and play just like it's home. But if she's too tired from driving for 10 hours and she doesn't eat, it makes her ill. It's driving in the truck that pulls the rv that she hates! And by the time we get where we're going the damage is done.
Have you described that to the vet? What you describe sounds more like car sickness than anxiety. Sometimes if the dog can't see out or see the passing road, they will get car sick. Some suggest lifting the dog’s seat higher so she can see out. Maybe that's why longer trips affect her? I think she wants to be held because it might allow her to see out the window and for some reason this helps the brain with handle the inner ear motion. I think I’d ask the vet about Dramamine, it really helps with motion sickness, like Benadryl it will make your dog sleepy, but it will also help with that quesy feeling. I use to get car sick all the time as a child, it's a horrible feeling, sitting on my mom's lap helped because then I could see out the window. Lol, I'm not making that up either. I read the reason why it helped, years later.

Join today and remove this ad!