View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Roxiesmama
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Cry Hamster question - Need Advice!

I figured I would post about this on YT because you all are so awesome when it comes to pet issues.

I have a 2-year-old Russian dwarf hamster, Fluffernutter. She's been a great little pet in the time that I have had her. So full of personality for a little rodent!

About 3 weeks ago I noticed that she had a huge growth on her underside, right in the crook of her hind leg. It was making walking, standing, and running in her wheel difficult. However, she still ran in her wheel a little, came out to play, nibbled her seed log, climbed her ramp, and ate and drank normally. We took her to the vet, had the cyst drained and tested for cancer cells. No cancer, but lots of white blood cells. Doctor said he could feel a hard tumor underneath the cyst. He didn't recommend surgery due to cost and the age of the hamster. We took her home, and within 2 days the cyst had refilled with fluid. Doctor gave us antibiotics for the hammy in the hopes of preventing it from getting any worse.

After about 10 days on the antibiotics, SO and I went out of town for 4 days. For that 4 days she didn't get her medicine. When we got back the cyst was huge again. Now her rear leg wasn't even touching the ground and she couldn't run in her wheel at all. She was still lively and trying to do the things she normally does. Took her back to the vet and had it drained again. He told us to keep her on the antibiotics, but that it would assuredly refill again.

He didn't want to stress euthanizing hammy because she was still so active and lively. However, he said eventually the cyst may rupture on it's own and that could cause a huge health hazard for hammy.

I don't know what to do. My heart is breaking for my little hammy. We cannot afford to have her cyst drained every few weeks, but the thought of euthanizing her also seems so harsh right now.

What would you do? How long do I let this go on for?

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!