View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 03:02 AM   #8
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

I bet he is just really confused.

Sounds like he came from the breeder and was allowed to go on pads or newspapers constantly. Then he developed a liking for in front of the fridge. Now he is being expected to go outside (on the grass) and inside (next to the fridge on a pad) and not in the kennel (like he was probably "trained" to do before. This could take a lot of time. Many pups are trained to pads and grass; however, I would stick to just one right now. He needs to develop a desire to eliminate on certain surfaces only. If you are gone for very long periods, peepads may be best. He will learn that going on grass is okay later.

He should be confined during the day. Waaay too much freedom. Too young still. Not good for behavior or safety to have that much stuff to chew and get to when you aren't there.

The kennel needs to be small if you don't want him to go in it. If you are pad training, then you'll probably want to use an xpen. But if you are going to outside train and want the kennel to stay clean, then you can start feeding him in there and making it his "home". If he saw it as his home, he wouldn't be pottying in there so much.

ETA: I am not a big fan of peepads and choose to try and avoid them. They can confuse them with rugs and blankets. I like my pups to go on grass, but that isn't always possible.

Soak the peepad in pee and put it in an xpen with him. Or you could soak it in pee, put it in front of the fridge and block him in the kitchen. Then if you goes on it, you ever so slowly move teh pad to where you want him to go. But that said, the kitchen is too big of a space to use to train a pup lots of time.

Last edited by Ellie May; 08-11-2011 at 03:03 AM.
Ellie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!