Thread: Pancreatitis
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #15
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Dealing/dealt with Jackson and pancreatitis over these past few weeks. He, however, was back to himself the day I brought him home from the hospital (he stayed for over 24hrs in the hospital hooked up to IV's, etc) and I had to keep him on rest which was difficult to say the least. He is also about 2.5yrs old but he's 16lbs. His was, I believe, brought on by a large amount of fatty people foods (sausage pizza, steak, chocolate cupcake, etc). They finally did a cPL test and it back in normal range thankfully.

He is still on the Purina RX diet right now and it's been... 3 weeks, about since his episode. I am keeping him on it, per the vets instructions, for the next 1-2 weeks and keeping enough to slowly transition him to something else. Believe me, I'm dealing with the food struggle but I wouldn't be comfortable going any higher than 10.5% fat (which is what the Purina is he's eating). But posts above are correct, it's so much more than just numbers. I've learned so much from this forum in the past few weeks and there are so many posters who have much more experience than I do.

But I absolutely would do a slow-as-a-snail transition onto new food and keep fat levels very low. 16% is too high, IMO, from everything I've learned.

I've also read that stress can bring out pancreatitis, it sounds like your baby was pretty stressed? Did the vet say what brought on the pancreatitis?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!