View Single Post
Old 08-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #60
Yorkiesatwork
YT Addict

Since my boys come to work with me, pets become part of the initial conversations with clients. Way too often, the client includes a description of a past pet that got hit by a car, along with the comment that the pet was usually leashed/fenced/penned/obedient, but just in an instant had gotten away from them. I'm taking all comments to be cautious seriously, but other dog owners are telling me it's a once-and-done correction, only allowed after three or more weeks of training to avoid the flagged areas and to retreat when the collar begins to click, some 6 feet before the correction is administered.

The chances of my boys being bitten by a rabid animal are a gadzillion to one, but I wouldn't for an instance refuse to get them vaccinated because it hurts. Max cries when his nails are trimmed, when his ears are swabbed. He yelled bloody murder when the doctor nipped his loose baby tooth out -- but I never considered not doing those things.

I'm weighing the one time correction -- a static shock -- with the possibility my babies could get away from me and die a horrible death under a car or golfcart.

Training is the first choice. I and my guys are getting better each day. I don't have an appropriate back yard, and covenants don't permit front yard fences. The only 'tie-out' I've used is a lightweight cat line tied to a water jug while I sit in a lawnchair right there watching. I would never let either of them be in the yard alone -- leashed, tied, or fenced.

I'm reminded of the reprimands well meaning people aim at the young parents at Disneyland who have child harnesses on their kids... How awful, they cluck... but you never see a child standing at the Los Parente's pole with a harness on!
Yorkiesatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!