View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 06:51 AM   #14
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskayorkie View Post
For pee breaks, I don't bother putting a coat and booties on my dogs. That would drive me to drink as often as they want to go out.

Instead, I make sure I've shoveled off a path to where they like to go and I make sure I'm available to let them back in the second they're ready.

I have seen Yorkies balk at wet ground or cold snow. I think the secret is to start while they're young getting them used to as many different surfaces as possible. I walked my pup through wet grass, then puddles, mud, weeds, playground material, etc. The more you can expose them too, the more easily they'll accept snow.

For longer walks, definitely go the bootie and coat route. Mine don't especially like putting them on, but they'll stay outside comfortably in winter when they have them on. When they don't have them on, I notice they'll pick up their feet uncomfortably after as little as 5 or 10 minutes.

When the temperature drops lower than -5 F, though, I cut walks short -- or at least watch them closely to make sure they're not overly distressed.
Totally agree! I always exposed Jackson to many different things as a puppy. I got him in December and we had a fairly big snow storm in January and I immediately encouraged him to go out in it. I made it very fun from the get-go and he learned it was okay -- and actually kind of fun!

Jackson is a winter dog, he'd prefer to be out there in the snow than indoors. But I will say, it's a pain in the butt for ME, waiting for him to go potty, freezing my butt off.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!