View Single Post
Old 08-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
ArmaniMan
I ♥ Armani & Chloe
Donating Member

Its hard to give specific information about dog parks since they vary so much and therefore the experiences do as well. Some general things I will say:

1. I would NEVER take a small dog like a Yorkie to a mixed size dog park, I would only use one that had a separate section for small dogs.

2. Never take a puppy to a dog park until they are fully vaccinated and do not take your dog there unless you do full vaccines, heartworm and flea meds.

3. I would never use a dog park as a dogs FIRST socialization experiences- you never know what kinds of dogs are going to be in the park and what their personality is like- one bad experience as a puppy can affect a dog for life- you want to set your puppy up for success by controlling their interactions as much as possible, having leashed meetings, or play sessions with dogs you know well. It is much easier for a well socialized and adjusted dog to shrug off a bad encounter at the dog park.

4. Always remain focused on your dog- many people get distracted with talking to people or playing with other dogs- always keep an eye on your dog so you can easily step in if needed.

5. Always be the bigger person and the best advocate for your dog. If another dog is bullying your dog, don't wait for the other owner to step in- you need to protect your dog and you may even have to cut your fun short and leave.

In my opinion dog parks are what you make of them- they can be good or bad- it is up to you to control the encounters. Good Luck.

Armani & Chloe
ArmaniMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!