View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #6
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
I like these kinds of sites for ingredient comparison too. For me, the ratings just get thrown out the window. Very interesting to see all the makers of raw. I didn't know so many companies had these products.

They are telling me I'm going to an unreasonable extreme by feeding soy dog food. ?? If their dog pooped liquid on meat diets, I'm sure they would change their minds.

The foods with higher meat content get higher ratings. I don't want a dog food with so much meat in it because it's extra stress on the kidneys and liver (it has to be metabolized and nitrogen has to be eliminated by the kidneys). These brands also tend to have more phosphorous (because of the meat content). Some will be comfortable with that and some won't. I don't like the idea. The 4 and 5 star foods here, I'd only feed a handful of them and that is if some of ones with lower ratings didn't work. Some of these smaller companies also have questionable quality control and the foods can lack consistency. Most of these companies also don't do feeding trials, so the dogs that it's being tried on belong to pet owners.
I posted in a thread earlier about how I personally liked a food to have more meat in it. Now I'm seeing this post and you have me really thinking about things from this perspective.

I wanted to ask what feeding trials you feel a food should have? Are the AAFCO guidelines enough? What else do we need to be aware of as far as testing and good quality control procedures?

Sorry you're getting so many diet/food questions today, but like the others I value your opinion!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!