View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

We rented the series on Netflix and I watch his show on the National Geographic channel. I really believe you have to see Cesar in action to truly understand what he's talking about. Also I'm not sure everyone can do what Cesar does, he truly has a gift, and is indeed a dog whisperer. However, I think seeing how he acts and behaves and what he does with his body can give you lots of information, if you’re observant. He is assertively, not aggressively in control. Also, Cesar doesn't over talk, like many trainers, I think when training, the few words spoken the better. If I were to buy a book, I’d buy “Nothing in life is free, it’s has a lot of Cesar’s philosophy. Here’s a site that explains the Nothing in Life is Free concept. Should You Use ?Nothing in Life Is Free? with Your Dog? : The Dog Trainer :: Quick and Dirty Tips

Here she talks about going for a walk:

Quote:
Here are some examples of how “Say Please” might work in daily life.
If it’s time to go for a walk, then instead of letting Dogalini do whatever while you put on your shoes and attach her leash, you ask her to sit and stay. Here the reward is ongoing--as she holds her sit-stay, walk time gets closer and closer. If she breaks her sit, you interrupt your prep for going out. Once she holds the sit long enough for you to leash her, you could ask her to do a trick, then open the door to reward her for complying. As you walk, you say “Yes!” and deliver a small treat every few paces as long as Dogalini stays more or less by your side. And you reward her for keeping plenty of slack in the leash by offering her frequent chances to go sniff.
At the dog park, you have Dogalini target your hand with her nose once or twice before you unclip her lead. Back home, she can wait in a down-stay while you get her dinner ready and set it on the floor, then head for her bowl when you give the okay. When you’re playing fetch with her in the backyard later that evening, you ask her to sit or down or do a well-known trick before every ball throw--the throw is her reward for responding to your cue.
Obviously, “Say Please” calls for some effort on the human’s part, if you’re not used to thinking much about your interactions with your dog. But it can become second nature if you stick with it for a while, and of course it gets easier and easier as your dog learns to look for your cues throughout the day. Still, you might wonder, why go to the trouble of learning this more structured way of relating to your dog?

Last edited by Nancy1999; 07-31-2011 at 05:35 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!