View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McheleM View Post
Like what?? Enlighten me please.
They were doing good with their food and now they've just stopped eating it. I didn't know if it might be because it's 108 degrees and they're just blah like people are (I don't eat as much in summer) or if they really just don't like their food anymore. I bought some other food, and I have some samples, but I don't want to switch them drastically- I figured the cheese might help, but I am open to other suggestions as well.
I've tried yogurt and they turned their noses. Although theyndo like the yogurt melts (gerber graduates) but I use those as treats and I break them into 4 pieces. They didn't care for green beans or sweet potato.

They don't like wet food. I've tried several.
Until recently, Noah was still on baby food, beef, on a baby spoon because it's what we were doing to ensure he ate at the vet and right after he came home. He would get it mixed in with his kibble (I would out the kibble in the baby food and he ate it that way) He's been back on straight kibble for about a week.

I am feeding them a mixture of purina pro plan (25%) and innova (75%) only because the breeder had them on the pro plan and I bought an 8 lb bag of it, not knowing it wasn't quality food-thanks to a member here, I got the innova and started transitioning them over. I didn't want to waste the pro plan, so they are still getting it.
Purina Pro Plan is not the worst thing in the world. I would not rely on toppings and additions to get your pups to eat. The harder you try and the more alternatives you offer, the more the dogs learn to hold out and train you to put something else in their bowls.

If you make kibble seem really desirable, your dogs will catch on. I always used kibble for training treats and I made a big deal when I presented them. We also have a kibble can, a food holder that has a button in the middle to release the top. I believe the can has almost had the same effect as clicker training. The boys get excited when they hear the sound.

Do scheduled mealtimes and put the bowls down for 20 minutes and then pick them up. It is very rare that a dog will purposely starve themselves. You can also try training during mealtimes and take kibble from the bowl to present as rewards. With my oldest boy, I think I hand fed the majority of his kibble this way the first year. Now he eats on his own.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!