View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
DJDB
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna View Post
Thank you all for the replies - so much useful info and I will check out the books and videos, especially Cesar who I have heard a lot about just by browsing the forums.

I know that I can get a good start and hold on the exercise and they will love that, because they love playing and running and games.

Question - do I need to ease them into the exercise. Will it be bad for me to go full throttle, ie walks and garden games/exercise all at once? I've already given them a 10 min walk today - is it ok to do that again tonight? I don't want to make a mistake and do too much on the first day.

Thank you all.
I think it's great that you're seeking help on these issues. It definitely shows that you care about your pups. I don't think you have to worry about over-doing exercise. At this point they obviously NEED more. I would definitely take them out for maybe a 20 or 30 min walk tonight twice a day if you've got the time. We take Ozzy out for 10 in the morning, another 10-15 in the afternoon and then about 20 right before bedtime. Before bed is when we'll take him to the park or up and down the street a few times. In between we are having him fetch toys in the house, which is another great way he burns off energy, and it's highly rewarding for him.

It is REALLY important that whoever walks the dogs are in charge. Keep a short leash, don't let them pull you or run all over the place. What I've found really helpful, which makes Ozzy look to me for direction, is many stops and starts and about faces, walk this way and that. Don't look down at them or worry about where they are. LEAD them, and they will eventually figure out that they must always look to YOU rather than the other way around. Make sure your attitude is calm and assertive.

I agree you should keep them off the furniture and out of the bed until they've re-learned their roles in the house.

I know Cesar can help you. Read, read, read, and watch his show if you can.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!