View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna View Post
Thank you all for the replies - so much useful info and I will check out the books and videos, especially Cesar who I have heard a lot about just by browsing the forums.

I know that I can get a good start and hold on the exercise and they will love that, because they love playing and running and games.

Question - do I need to ease them into the exercise. Will it be bad for me to go full throttle, ie walks and garden games/exercise all at once? I've already given them a 10 min walk today - is it ok to do that again tonight? I don't want to make a mistake and do too much on the first day.

Thank you all.
Well with Cesar's theory the walk does several things besides tiring them out. It establishes you as the pack leader, but you can't have them pulling you during the walk, that's why you need to know exactly how to do the walk. Also, the walk gives the dog a "sense of purpose", and this is very good for the dog's esteem or confidence. Aggressive dogs actually don't have much confidence, they are very fearful. Finally, the walk gives them exercise and tires them out. Playing in the yard, probably just tires them out, so I believe the walk is the most important in trying to eliminate the aggression. I doubt if the dogs will overextend themselves, when dogs get tired they just quit playing. I don't think you have to worry about doing too much. When you are walking them, who is in control?

Join today and remove this ad!