View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

My guess is that your dogs believe themselves to be dominant. I'm a fan of Cesar, and he's not into squirt bottles, but he believes the humans should always give off a dominant vibe. Squirt bottles are considered slightly aversive punishment, and that needs to be used in conjunction with positive reinforcement. Punishments usually only work short term, and should not be used except for the most extreme behaviors. I suggest watching the show, and getting a feel for what he says about dogs, a human should always have a calm confidence around dogs, and do everything you can to keep from becoming frustrated. Maximo is correct, a tired dog is a happy dog, and exercise is so important. One of the ways that Cesar suggests to get your dogs to feel like part of a pack is to walk them together in a purposeful walk. He believes daily walks should be part of every dog’s life, and a dog even thinks a walk is his job. A purposeful walk is when you are in command walking a fairly fast pace, it takes practice, especially with two dogs who will try to be the alpha. You need ot be the alpha or the one in command. Perhaps you can get another family member to go with you. If done correctly, 10 minutes a day can help tremendously. Another way to reestablish yourself as the alpha is food time. Make sure both dogs are sitting before food is placed on the floor, and make them wait until you have given the release command. Keeping picking the bowl up, until the obey. This may not sound important, but it reminds the dog you are the boss, you are the one that says when they can eat. Dog behaviorist usually say don’t sleep with a dog or allow them on the furniture if you are having any aggression problems with your dogs, this is really the first thing you should stop. So much good information is out there now, and I hope you can get a handle on this problem.

Join today and remove this ad!