Thread: When to breed?
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 10:11 AM   #5
DevineMissM
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkieRini
I'm sure we have a lot of lurkers out there that are thinking about breeding and may have a bitch about to come in season. I know some are overly anxious to breed the first cylce. I personally never breed before the 2nd heat cycle. Primarily because I want my bitch to be fully mature and physically devoloped. For the veteran breeders, do you prefer to wait for the 2nd heat? I've talked to some breeders that say they will breed a bigger bitch on her first heat if she's at least 12 months. What are the thoughts of our veteran breeders out there? Let's keep this as a discussion. No judgements to be passed. We all do what we feel comfortable doing...
I have bred a bitch on her first cycle. Only one! She was close to 7 pounds and 13 months old at first heat. I actually bred her twice back to back. She did not produce a puppy better than herself so there was no reason to continue to breed her. She was spayed and placed in a pet home before the age of two. This allowed her to live a long life with a loving owner. I like to get them into companion homes as soon as possible or else I will have a bunch of spoiled senior dogs living here. LOL I do have litter sisters over 13 years old and another spayed 9 year old bitch. They are way too rotten and spoiled to ever leave me. But the younger gals do quite well when placed after their breeding career is over.
BUT I do prefer the 2nd or even the 3rd heat before breeding. And also I believe a bitch should be bred before the age of 3 the first time.
DevineMissM is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!