View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

Hi Elizabet, I'm not sure by your post if Muggsy is going in for his neuter and the administration of vaccines on the same day. If so that is not a good idea. No vaccines should ever be done at the same time as a surgery and anesthesia or when a pet is ill. It is to much for the immune system to process at one time. The vaccines should wait for about 4 weeks and only if Mugsy is well.

As for the combo vaccines. A lot of vets use these even though they are not recommended by many of the vaccine researchers, like Dr. Dodds and Dr. Schultz, nor are they the safest way to vaccinate a loved pet. They contain many unnecessary components, and they can over whelm the immune system which has to process the multiple ingredients they contain.

Dr. Dodds has a vaccine schedule that is very helpful in these cases. You can print it out and carry it with you....

Vaccination Schedule Recommendations For Dogs

As you can see she only recommends the core vaccines, parvo, distemper and rabies.

Corona is not used anymore and lepto and lyme have more adverse reactions than befits so they are not generally recommended....

Giving combo vaccines (multi-valiant, polyvalent) and/or several shots at once increases the risk of adverse reactions as well as the risk that the vaccines will interfere with each other, resulting in neutralization or negation. (American Animal Hospital Association)

We don't repeat vaccinations for parvo and distemper because we need vaccines more than once to form immunity. They are repeated for two basic reasons only: Habit, and to catch those few individuals who for some reason don't respond to the first vaccination. A single immunizing dose of a modified live virus vaccine - in other words, one vaccine that works - will form long term, probably lifetime, immunity to parvo and distemper. (Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy XIII; 2000)

You should NEVER give Rabies at the same time as the other vaccines. You should never administer vaccines together, never the mumbo jumbo, never with anesthesia and never with surgery. Never use vaccines that contain both bacterins and viruses. To do so is not good practice, escalates to being a reason to remove a veterinarian's license and when done in the previous entirety, is OBSCENE.
Dr. Schultz does not recommend nor does he use either the Lepto vaccines,nor the Lyme
vaccine even though he lives in an endemic area for both of those diseases. He already stated omit the corona. He doesn't like nor recommend the bacterins vaccines so Lepto and Bordatella parenteral are OUT. If you must consider Lyme vaccine use the recombinant DNA Lyme from Merial.
If you must vaccinate against Lepto, realize these facts: there are over 2,000 serovars of lepto
but only 4 cause diseases in the dog. There is no cross protection from some of the serovars. Lepto
only protects for a very short time (4-6 months). Lepto then needs to be administered every 6 months to attempt at any protection, and those bacterins can easily result in more pathology than the few that will actually become exposed. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/k9health/...esentation.pdf

This is a great site to read for info.....

The Rabies Vaccine for Dogs: Side Effects and Precautions You Can Take

Truth4Dogs

I wish Muggsy a safe and speedy recovery on his neuter.....
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!