View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDB View Post
How old is your daughter?

One thing is that when you take your pup out for potty time this should not be play time. You stay in one spot or area until he pees or poops. And you STAY until he does. You have to be able to commit the time to the process or it won't work.

Our vet suggested, and I agree, that when you're out to potty, that's it, that's all. If you want to play, then do potty, come in, then 10 or 15 mins later go outside to play.

Also, you can't let a puppy have ANY free time in the house if they haven't gone outside. Once they have peed or pooped outdoors, then you could probably give 20 to 30 mins free time. However, I caution that ANY ANY time they are loose in your home that you watch them every moment. You just have to be severely diligent. If you can get the habit started, you'll be surprised at how quickly he will pick up on it and "get it".

Also, make sure if your pup does go outside that the treat/praise is given within 30 seconds, or the dog will not connect the two.

It doesn't just take patience, it takes diligence on the part of everyone in the family to set your pup up to succeed. Also, if you're with him outside feeling stressed that he's not going, he will pick up on that and it will just stress him out and he'll be less likely to go.

Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!