View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoriAnderson View Post
We have his kennel in our bedroom by my side of the bed and he sleeps there at night. I would let him sleep with us if I felt like he could be trusted in the middle of the night.

Our daughter has been taking him out about every hour to hour and a half trying to get him to go. She says when he's out there, he gets distracted by the least little thing and doesn't go. We are out there for 10 and sometimes 20 minutes at a time and it's really frustrating when he doesn't go.

He is getting neutered next week and at that time, I'll visit with the vet about our issues. Maybe they will test him for urinary problems. So far, all I've gotten, is the "be patient, it takes time" response. I have lots of patience, but we got him on June 26 and it's as if we are making NO progress whatsoever. I am a SAHM, but we do have commitments outside of this house, ie; summer sports camps, church activities, swim lessons, and errands to run, etc... so we are not in the house 24/7.

I'll post the schedule we've been keeping and if anyone sees any issues with the current plan, please, feel free to comment!

5:00 am wake up go outside
5:10-5:20 kitchen (which is gated) and food/water given
6:00 go outside
6:10 back in to the kitchen for free time
7:00 I have coffee in living room and he sits on my lap
8:00 confined to kennel
12:00 food/water
12:30 go outside
12:45-1:15 (or so) kitchen
1:30 confine
5:00 food/water
5:30 go outside
5:45-6:15 kitchen
6:30 confine
8:00 water
8:20-30 go outside
8:45-10:00 tv on my lap
10:30-11:00 outside
11:15 bed
I see nothing wrong with your schedule but the few things I highlighted for you....

You are waiting to long after eating/drinking...I take mine out about 5 to 10 minutes after any food/water and play time.

Not enought time outside...they like to be walked and sometimes that takes longer than 10 minutes.

After he potties, throw a huge potty party...yorkies love the attention and love to please...so praise praise praise and give a treat for good potty behavior...if you catch him in the act of pottying in the house...say NO in a firm voice don't yell it...and take him right outside and say good boy, letting him know this is where you want him to potty...if you don't catch him inthe act and you find a accident, just clean it up, make no fuss over it...if you make a fuss over it...like I said earlier yorkies love attention and if you give him attention over something bad he will continue to do it cause he is getting that attention..good or bad....good luck.

Last edited by bellababy08; 07-25-2011 at 10:58 AM.
bellababy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!