View Single Post
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #10
DJDB
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoriAnderson View Post
Our daughter is 8 years old. She takes him out and does not play with him. She waits until he does his "business" and then brings him inside. Maybe since Archer doesn't view her as the "Alpha", he is less likely to go for her every time?

Right now we are using the "How to housebreak your dog in 7 days" method. He is has been confined since 8:45am and is now starting to bark and whine. according to the book, it says to keep confined until Noon. They say it's not cruel, but it's agonizing to hear him whine we will try this method for the next 7 days (if we make it that long )

I'm also very confused about the food/water debate. Since yorkies (and small puppies) are prone to hypoglycemia, isn't it prudent to leave food out at all times? This makes housetraining difficult, because you need to monitor closely the intake of food so you know when to let them out...so confusing!!

Starting today, I am keeping a log of his time inside, outside, confined, eating/sleeping, etc... hopefully this will aid us in our housebreaking endeavors!
Just so you know, it will not happen in 7 days, though we used the method and it IS working. Finding out the dog's habits is important, too.

I have found that Ozzy has to have his first poop on the first walk in the morning, then again in the afternoon around 3-4, then again before bed. So, I take him out at 5:45 for a 10 min walk/pee/poop; he hangs out with me while I get ready for work, and I take him just outside the front door for another pee at about 7:30, then he goes in his crate. My b/f is home at about 2:30 and takes him out for a walk and he normally does pee/poop. If my b/f can watch him all the time he stays out and about until I get home at 4:45. If not, he gets crated again until I get home, when he gets taken out again. We both then watch him constantly - NEVER out of eye sight - and take him out if he starts sniffing the floor or sits at the door. He goes out again around 6:30 or 7:00, then again we watch him constantly until bedtime, around 9:30, then take him out again, at which point he'll have another poop. He sleeps all through the night with us in the bed. During the day he's confined to one floor only when he's out.

With that schedule he's doing really well. 1 accident in the last 10 days, and that was my fault because I didn't pay attention to the signs (sniffing the floor is always a sign for Oz).

I'm not sure when I'll feel like he's fully trained, but I'm thinking at least another month or two.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!