View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #2
DJDB
YT Addict

Hi Kori and Archer. Try to relax a little bit! Being a "mom" of a 4 month old Yorkie myself, I hope I can give you some good tips and some confidence that things will get better.

First, if you can't watch your pup AT ALL TIMES - meaning your eyes are not turned away even for a moment - he needs to be contained in a small area or crate. If a small area, make sure it's covered with pee pads. If you're training him to go outside only, I suggest training in a crate (our Ozzy is in a crate when we're at work or need a break from watching him like a HAWK).

Second, make sure you're giving him enough opportunity to go outside, and keep him out there until he either pees or poops, so that you can reward him with a treat and/or praise. Positive reinforcement for doing the right thing will go a long way to aid potty training.

Third, the waking up in the middle of the night may seem normal to some. Ozzy can sleep all night, but I know that many find that at 4 months the pup's bladder is just too small to hold it that long. I really think that pretty normal until they're older and used to holding it longer. Is he in a crate at night or sleeping with you in bed?

Lastly, don't give up. The first week we had Ozzy I felt like he would never "get it". Now, after only one month, he's doing fantastic (1 accident in the last 9 days). It takes a LOT of patience and a LOT of active diligence on your part to make sure you set your pup up for success rather than failure (as pointed out to me by others... very true). Remember, he has to learn the good behaviour and the rules, which simply takes time and effort.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!