Thread: Scared Child
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
Carinhosamulher
YT Addict

I have three children - 12 yrs, 7 yrs, and 3yrs old - all girls. hehehehe None of them are afraid of dogs in the least regardless of size. They get along so great with both my dogs it's just hysterical to watch, especially my youngest with Matthias. However I used to do in-home daycare a long time ago. At that time I had a cocker spaniel - the sweetest boy. One of the children was afraid of him. He never did anything to the child, mind you, but the child was deathly scared of all dogs. To accomodate, I had to keep my cocker confined to the upstairs until the boy's parents found him another suitable daycare.

The worst thing to do to a child is to force them in to a situation that is already traumatic to them. Personally, what I would do is slowly start introducing your son to smaller sized dogs. Like maybe a friend has one. First through the kennel, then the playpen, then explain "Ok, the doggie is on the leash now. See? I have him. Would you like to hold the leash too?" Yorkies are high maintenance and to introduce a Yorkie puppy - or any puppy - to a home with a terrified child is not, in my opinion, responsible or smart. That dog is gonna pick up on that child's fear and someone is gonna get hurt.

I know the desire to have a dog in the house, but you have to put your children first right now. Perhaps your child will outgrow it. But if he doesn't, what are you going to do? Are you gonna live forever with a scared child and nervous dog, constantly watching over your shoulder to make sure one doesnt' hurt the other? Or are you gonna bring this dog in the house, hope it works, get your and your other two children attached to it, and then find a home for it because of the stress? That's not fair to the other kids OR the dog.

Try getting a toy dog - a stuffed one, or one of those mechanical ones that are remote controlled for your son. Let him get over his fear properly. Please don't put him through more stress than he probably already goes through naturally as a three year old. This is a critical time in their developement already. He doesn't need more added to it. Let him come in to his own. If you want professional advice, talk to his pediatrician - see what she says about the fear and the possibility of him getting over it and whatnot.

These are just my opinions. I just hope and pray you do what's best for your son and this puppy you have in mind. God bless.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!