View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Furbaby Friend
YT 500 Club Member

This is from their site:

"
We’ve previously touched on the fact that with Trupanion, your premiums won’t increase when you submit a claim, but many pet owners ask us when else their dog insurance premiums may increase.
I’d be lying if I told you that premiums with Trupanion will never increase. However, they will not increase based on the age of your pet. Some pet insurance companies have rate factors in accordance with the pet’s age. So, each year when you renew your policy, you will likely see premium increases.
With Trupanion, premiums may periodically change to reflect the cost of veterinary care in your region, but rates will never be increased due to the aging of your pet or for filing claims. As you might imagine, during the 10-15 years that your pet is alive, veterinary medicine grows quite rapidly. While this is great news to help extend the lives of our pets, it naturally means an increase in cost. To ensure that Trupanion can keep paying out on the latest veterinary technology, we must periodically adjust our policyholder premiums. This may happen every 1 and a half to 2 years during the life of your pet."

So looks like they fed me the line that the premiums wouldn't increase because of my pet aging. However, it seems they just randomly increase premiums for no reason to cover the fact that they do not do this. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I will keep the coverage until they try to mess with it. If they try to raise my premiums to something insane, I will just cancel and put money away for emergencies.

It could possibly be a fishy marketing attempt (the no premium increase) that was one of the reasons I chose them was the steady rate. If the rate turns out to not be so steady however...

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, but until then I really like this company. You get a lot of coverage for a reasonable price (as long as the price stays reasonable). In NYS you have to pay a year upfront, so I know that they can't just randomly raise my premium for at least a year.
Furbaby Friend is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!