View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #1
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Default Peek A Boo! What have you done?

At 7:00 AM today:

I let the pups out in the yard this morning, about an hour ago. I walked out with them to check the temperature, bc it was so hot here yesterday. I came back in the house, and 3 followed me in after doing their business, Peek A Boo remained in the yard. Nothing unusual, he's always the last one to come back in.

Watching for him from the door, I see him making his way up the ramp and through the doggy door in the screened in porch. He's 14.5 years old, so this can take a bit or so. Once he's on the porch, I noticed that he was limping, so I watch closer and he is totally non weight bearing on his right front leg! Oh no! Peek A Boo! What have you done? I rush over to him and pick him up, and carry him into the house.

He acted a little panicked, I put my hand on his chest to check his heart rate, which was faster than normal, and his eyes were a bit bugged out and looking a little bloodshot. I've never seen him quite so wild-eyed. I thought he either stepped on a thorn, got stung by a bee, bit by a spider, or stepped wrong maybe twisting a knee.

I checked his foot pads for any thorns, stingers, and fang marks... I couldn't see anything. Grabbed a flashlight and some magnifying glasses and looked again... still nothing. He's holding his foot away from his body, and it is warm to the touch, so I combed through his hair to see if any insects were stuck in his coat, and to try to calm him down a bit. Not working...

I carried him with me and grabbed my stethoscope, and got the Benedryl out of the cabinet and took him back to the kitchen table. Maybe we should go to the EV. Heartrate was around 180! Well this ain't good. Should I give the Benedryl now? Dh is in the shower getting ready for work. We could get a ride with him to the EV. Peek A Boo looked to be calming down, eyes looking less bloodshot, and his HR seemed to be slowing down. Okay, no Benedryl just yet. Give him a few more minutes...

His HR is now around 95, eyes look fine, no wild-eyedness, no swelling anywhere... think I'll put him on the floor and see how he does... he's looking good... all four on the floor, no limping, and HR is good... and he walks over to his water bowl, takes a quick drink, then buries his head in his food bowl and finishes his breakfast! I'll be watching him this morning... but I think he's okay for now at least...
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!