View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #1
anastacea
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default My dog seems to have incredibly short-term memory

So, we moved to a new house with a doggy door. My older Silky Terrier mix who is 8 months old picked up on the doggy door right away.

But, my younger 4.5 month old Yorkshire Terrier is having difficulty. I will train him with a harness and a leash as I have been reading on Yorkietalk as a method of training him to use the door. It works great, I'll gently pull him through with the leash, then remove the leash, and let him come in and out on his own. I can get him to go in and out for a treat a good 20 times or so after removing the leash.

But, then an hour later, he sits outside waiting to be let in, and when I ask him to "come inside" he acts like he doesn't know how. I have been doing this for almost a week. Why does he forget what I taught him so quickly?

It also seems like he has more trouble coming in then going out. But, I haven't really seen him go out on his own. But, sometimes when I am training him. I go on the outside of the door and call him outside, he will come right away. But, when I call him to come inside, he has more difficulty, and can't figure it out.

Thanks for the advice.
anastacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!