View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
CricksMom
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Severe scratching

Hi, I just joined and have found these forums useful in the past. Over the past 6-8 weeks my 20-mon-old yorkie has been scratching day and night until he bleeds in spots. He wakes up (which wakes me up too!) several times a night to scratch for minutes at a time. Once he was scratching to the point of whining/crying. He also has episodes during the day. I have noticed red, scaly patches behind his ears, front legs, upper back, and neck/chest. I have taken him off all dog food (used Blue Buffalo) and now only cook him brown rice, chicken and some veggies. He has always been a little sneezy and itchy since 3 months old when I got him, but it has gotten out of control. Nothing has changed in terms of detergents, sprays, shampoo, or environment that coincides with the onset of the severe scratching. The only thing that I have added is Heartgard a couple of months ago. He has been on Advantix for fleas since he was a pup. I live in San Diego so the climate is pretty much the same all year round. Could the Heartworm med cause an allergic reaction? I have also noticed a couple of active fleas on him the past couple of days so maybe I need to think about changing flea meds? Any suggestions/similar issues?
CricksMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!