Thread: Weight Gain
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
bellababy08
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapita222 View Post
I just dont understand the concept of the different sized yorkies.. How can a yorkie coming from 3lb and 4lb parents grow into a 10lb yorkie. Yes i supose its a genetic thing or it could be a overfeeding thing. everyone of my neighbours have told me not to feed him too much as they will grow big. I really would like to keep him within the 4lb-7lb yorkie limit as he is a smally without have to worry too much on controlling everything he eats. I love my yorkie because hes a yorkie and a small dog, if i wanted a pitbull i would have brought one. Please dont take offense with the last comment, its just i have an idea how yorkie is and want mine within the standard size limit.
Mom and Dads weight is only a small part in genetics....Their parents or their grand parents could have been 10 lb, so unless you go thru a breeder that researches as far back as 5 or 6 generations...which most should, if they want to stay within the AKC standard...so some where in your babies line, there was a good size yorkie...And the chart, you really can't go by that...just like humans, Yorkies are going to be what they are going to be 6lbs or 10lbs and feeding them to much has nothing to do with there growth while they are pups...and a yorkie in my 15 yrs of owning the 4 yorkies I have, they really don't stop growing until about 2 yrs old...they may stop gaining./growing in between 1 yr and 2 yrs...than they fill out usually adding another few oz's or a lb...depending on the yorkie, you just won't know until around the 2 yr mark, what size your baby is going to be...my Bella was 8.6 lbs and very slim at a year old and stayed at that weight until she hit the 2 yr mark...than she filled out she is now almost 3 yrs old at 9.9 lbs and has maintained that weight and she is by no means over weight at all.

Last edited by bellababy08; 07-19-2011 at 04:17 AM.
bellababy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!