Thread: Scared Child
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
girltime
Senior Yorkie Talker

Personally I'd wait until the 3 year old is over the fear of dogs before purchasing one. Have 2 Yorkies and they are high maintenance and high strung (Lots of energy). I'd be affraid the new puppy would really give added stress and anxiety to your 3 year old.

On the weekends you can take you children to the SPCA and they allow you and the children to interact with the dogs. Between the SPCA visits and the parks I think this is a avenue to get the kids comfortable around dogs.

Think sometimes people think if the dog is smaller than the child than the child won't be as affraid...Wrong, The smaller dogs even though smaller have a bigger attitude. ;-)

We have 2 yorkies and 2 children but before bringing our first Yorkie home our children were already animal friendly and dog socialized. A new puppy in the home can add stress but when you also add a child who has a fear of dogs this will add stress and anxiety to the house hold.

Please don't think you are being ganged up on.. Many of us have been right were you are now..We are just try to save you the parents from have to go through preventable stress and anxiety.

Best of luck,

Wish you the best of luck with your decision.
girltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!