View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #3
roseylovestosho
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitalyn79 View Post
Texas is about 4 1/2 months now and I do have to say that he is very entertaining and cute. I love him very much and try to do everything to make sure he is happy. BUT, lately he has become a nightmare!!! Pees where ever he feels like it, will no longer pee on pee pad, he wont let anyone pick him up, he don't care about the word NO, and he barks all day. Had a trainer come by and told me it would cost $775 for 6 weeks!! WOW, there has to be a cheaper way....

He started chewing on my wall!! He holds it until I let him out to poop under my bed or in hall way!!. any suggestions would be GREAT!!!
Personally, no I do not think a trainer is worth it. Did you train him to use his pee pad? Have you thoroughly cleaned the areas that he's had accidents in? If the smell is still there (even if you don't notice it) he'll just continue to pee everywhere. Also, how can he possibly understand what the word "no" means? That's like putting a hula hoop in front of him and saying "jump" and expecting him to just jump through the hoop without actually teaching him?

These are just a handful of issues that you need to address. Potty training is not an easy process and your dog is extremely young. Most puppies are crate trained and are not given free reign of the house without constant supervision. They are not born knowing what you want them to do, you actually have to teach it to them..and that includes actually rewarding your dog when he gets it right and NOT PUNISHING the dog when they get it wrong, because it's really your fault (the trainer) and not the dog's fault. You should probably read this:

http://drsophiayin.com/docs/articles...earns2Earn.pdf

This has a lot of useful information and pictures. I followed the crate training process when I got Teddy at 3 months old until he was about 5-6 months old. Now, he has an expen but he does NOT have free reign of the house. He's had maybe a handful of accidents in the house since he was 3 months old (he is now 10 months old) and all of his accidents have been my fault.

As for the barking, are you yelling "no" to get him to stop? Because well, again, there's no way for him to actually understand what that means. Are you rewarding him when he's quiet? Are you only paying attention to him when he barks? Is he getting enough exercise? These are all things you need to address and here's a good video on how to teach your dog NOT to bark:

Good luck!

Join today and remove this ad!